Serving as the caretakers of Downtown Traverse City, the DDA works with businesses, property owners, and residents to maintain a vibrant city center that is economically healthy.
Promote economic growth and provide a world-class downtown that is active, thriving and inclusive. In collaboration with all stakeholders, the DDA creates and implements development plans, encourages historic preservation, corrects and prevents deterioration in the downtown district, and makes sound investments in sustainable infrastructure and civic amenities.
Serve as the regional hub for commerce, culture, arts and entrepreneurship. By 2030, downtown Traverse City will make needed infrastructure and institutional investments that provide for added business, residential and retail capacity downtown. These will attract new private investments and create jobs.
In 2022, the DDA engaged in a process called Moving Downtown Forward (click to learn more). Among many other items provided were five guiding principles that will serve as serve as a framework for future DDA resource allocation and investment decisions:
- Design a great place for all ages and for future generations
- Protect and preserve small independent businesses
- Support job growth and varied career opportunities
- Champion the development of attainable and workforce housing
- Advance climate action, sustainability, renewable energy, energy efficiency and resiliency