Mission, Vision & Guiding Principles
Serving as the caretakers of Downtown Traverse City, the DDA works with businesses, property owners, and residents to maintain a vibrant city center that is economically healthy.
Collaborate with all stakeholders to provide a world class downtown that is active, thriving, and inclusive. Through investments in sound, sustainable infrastructure and civic amenities, the DDA corrects and prevents deterioration in the Downtown District to encourage historic preservation, to create and implement development plans and to promote economic growth.
Traverse City is America’s most inclusive, family-friendly fresh water destination – featuring world class dining and shopping, a growing economy, entrepreneurial opportunity, and all season recreation.
In 2022, the DDA engaged in a process called Moving Downtown Forward (click to learn more). Among many other items provided were five guiding principles that will serve as serve as a framework for future DDA resource allocation and investment decisions:
- Design a great place for all ages and for future generations
- Protect and preserve small independent businesses
- Support job growth and varied career opportunities
- Champion the development of attainable and workforce housing
- Advance climate action, sustainability, renewable energy, energy efficiency and resiliency